Parents who live within the Salem-Keizer School District may request to transfer their children to another school within the district. Procedures governing transfers can be found here:
- Elementary School in-district transfer procedure
- Middle School in-district transfer procedure
- High School in-district transfer procedure
The process begins with the resident, or assigned, school. Parents or guardians obtain an In-District Transfer request form from their resident school or the Office of K-12 Education, 2450 Lancaster Dr. NE, Suite 200. Forms are not available online or at other locations. Return the completed form to the resident school during the following application periods:
- To transfer schools during a school year (following Winter Break for elementary schools, and start of second semester for secondary schools) the transfer request form must be submitted between November 1 and November 30.
- To transfer schools at the start of the following school year, the request form must be submitted between March 1 and March 31.
The principals of both the resident school and the requested school separately review and approve or deny the request. If the request is approved by both principals, parents are mailed a copy of the approved form notifying them of the decision. The response time on transfer requests can vary but generally takes about one week.
If parents disagree with a decision on a transfer request, there is an appeal process. A letter of appeal must be written to the appropriate director of elementary, middle or high school education. Be sure to include a copy of the In-District Transfer request and explain the reason you disagree with the decision. Please add any additional information you feel the director would need to make a decision. The director will respond in a letter detailing their decision. The director’s decision is final, and no further appeals can be submitted.
Please note: Bus transportation is not provided for students who attend school on an In-District Transfer
For more information or questions about the In-District Transfer process, please contact the office of K-12 Education at 503-399-2636.
Electives In-District Transfers
The In‐District Transfer (IDT) process is used to request permission to attend a different school in order to access certain educational programs not offered at a student’s resident school.
Parents and students should be aware of the following:
- There are no guarantees that IDT requests will be approved.
- Bus transportation is not provided for students attending school on an IDT.
- If the course a student wants to take is offered at their home school, they are not eligible for transfer to another school.
- If the number of applicants for a program exceeds the number of available seats, students will be selected by lottery.
- Each student may submit only one IDT form, and may request transfer for only one program. If the program is available at multiple schools, students may list more than one school on the IDT form.
- If selected and registered, students are expected to complete the entire program course sequence. Continuation of the IDT for following years is dependent on continued enrollment in program courses.
- Students who take less than a standard course load or drop from the program will return to their resident school.
Interdistrict Transfers (Non-resident)
Parents who live in Salem-Keizer and want their child to attend in another school district, or parents who live in another school district and want their child to attend in Salem-Keizer must request an Interdistrict Transfer.
To transfer OUTSIDE Salem-Keizer School District
Before a student residing in our district can attend a school outside our district, Salem-Keizer must approve the student for “release” to another district. To begin the process, please complete a Salem-Keizer Public Schools Non-Resident Transfer Request form.
After processing the request, Salem-Keizer will send the needed forms to the requested school district. Applicants can expect to hear from the new district by phone or mail regarding their decision to accept the transfer. Submit the completed form and documentation by fax, e-mail or in-person to:
Salem-Keizer Public Schools
PO Box 12024
2450 Lancaster Dr. NE, Suite 130
Salem, OR 97309-0024
Kristin Hulin, Senior Secretary
To transfer INSIDE Salem-Keizer School District
Before a non-resident student can attend school in the Salem-Keizer school district, the student’s current district must approve the student for “release” to another district. Start the process by contacting your current assigned school district and complete their transfer form. If your current school district approves the transfer, they will send a request to Salem-Keizer's office of K-12 Education. The request is then sent to the principal of the requested school. Once a decision is made, parents are notified by phone or letter with instructions on how to begin the registration process.