Getting ready for school
Getting a great start in school will help your child get a great start in life. Children do better in school, and enjoy school more, when they enter kindergarten with a few basic skills.
Parents can help their children get ready to start kindergarten by helping them:
- Hold and use a pencil, crayon and scissors correctly.
- Write their name with correct capital and lower case letters.
- Identify numbers, basic shapes, colors and patterns.
- Learn how to take turns and share with others.
- Follow simple rules, routines and directions.
- Identify the letters of the alphabet.
New state standards have elevated learning expectations for all students. Once considered a transitional year between home and school, kindergarten now represents a child’s first year of formal education.
If you have questions about how to help your child get ready for kindergarten, please contact your school principal.
All Salem-Keizer elementary schools are committed to helping each kindergarten student make as much social and academic progress as possible, while developing confidence and a love of learning. School principals and staff are here to help your student take this important first step into education.
- School Bus Basics (English)
- School Bus Basics (Spanish)
- Let's Get Ready for Kindergarten (English)
- Let's Get Ready for Kindergarten (Spanish)
- Kindergarten Readiness (English)
- Kindergarten Readiness (Spanish)